Tipu Z. Aziz FRCS(SN), D.Med.Sci.
|Contact address||Department of Neurosurgery, Level 3, The West Wing, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, OX3 9DU|
Research Interests are the role of the upper brain stem in the control of movement, the clinical neurophysiology of movement disorders and neuropathic pain and autonomic responses to deep brain stimulation, use of MR and MEG imaging in functional neurosurgery.
- Professor John Stein, Professor of Physiology
- Mr Alexander Green, Senior Lecturer Neurosurgery
- Dr. Ned Jenkinson, NDS Research Scientist
- Dr John Stuart Brittain, Post Doctoral Fellow IBME
- Dr Hamid Mohseni, Post Doctoral Fellow IBME
- Dr Sarah Owen, Post Doctoral Fellow NDS
- Dr. Patrick Schweder, D.Phil. Student
- Dr Wesley Thevathesan, D.Phil. Student
- Dr Jonathan Hyam, D.Phil. Student
- Raed Joundi, D.Phil. Student
- Peter Holland, D.Phil. Student
Former Group Members
- Mr Jeremy Rowe, Consultant Neurosurgeon
- Mr Dipankar Nandi, Consultant Neurosurgeon
- Dr Richard Bittar, Consultant Neurosurgeon
- Dr. Xuguang Liu, Consultant Surgical Neurophysiologist
- Dr Shouyan Wang, Lecturer Biomedical Engineering
- Mr Alexander Green, Senior Lecturer Neurosurgery
- Dr Kalai Muthuswamy, Senior Lecturer Neurosurgery, Malaysia
- Dr Bhooma Aravamuthan, Medical Student, USA
- Dr John Yianni, Clinical Fellow Neurosurgery
- Dr Nichola Ray, Research Scientist, Toronto
- Dr Jegan Thanabalan, Senior Lecturer Neurosurgery, Malaysia
- Dr Nick De Pennington, Neurosurgical SpR
- Professor Peter Brown, Professor of Neurology
- Professor David Patterson, Professor of Cardiovascular Physiology
- Professor Peter Silburn, Professor of Neurology
- Dr. Morten Kringelbach, Senior Research Fellow, Psychiatry
Professor Aziz is the founder and head of Oxford functional neurosurgery. His primate work was central to confirming the subthalamic nucleus as a possible surgical target for deep brain stimulation in Parkinson’s disease and more recently the pedunculopontine nucleus. OFN is currently one of the busiest centres for such surgery in the UK and academically very productive.
- Wu D, Warwick K, Ma Z, Burgess J.G, Pan S, and Aziz T.Z (2010) Prediction of Parkinson's disease tremor onset using radial basis function neural networks Expert Systems with Applications, 34(4):2923-8.
- Brittain J-S, Green A L, Jenkinson N, Ray N J, Holland P, Stein J F, Aziz T Z, and Davies P (2009) Local field potentials reveal a distinctive neural signature of cluster headache in the hypothalamus. Cephalalgia, 29(11):1165-73.
- Green A L, Wang S, Stein J F, Pereira E AC, Kringelbach M L, Liu X, Brittain J-S, and Aziz T Z (2009) Neural signatures in patients with neuropathic pain. Neurology, 72(6):569-71.
- Kuhn Andrea A, Tsui Alexander, Aziz Tipu, Ray Nicola, Brucke Christof, Kupsch Andreas, Schneider Gerd-Helge, and Brown Peter (2009) Pathological synchronisation in the subthalamic nucleus of patients with Parkinson's disease relates to both bradykinesia and rigidity. Exp Neurol, 215(2):380-7.
- McNab Jennifer A, Voets Natalie L, Jenkinson Ned, Squier Waney, Miller Karla L, Goodwin Guy M, and Aziz Tipu Z (2009) Reduced limbic connections may contraindicate subgenual cingulate deep brain stimulation for intractable depression. J Neurosurg, 111(4):780-4.
- Ray N J, Jenkinson N, Brittain J, Holland P, Joint C, Nandi D, Bain P G, Yousif N, Green A, Stein J S, and Aziz T Z (2009) The role of the subthalamic nucleus in response inhibition: evidence from deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease. Neuropsychologia, 47(13):2828-34.
- Aravamuthan B R, Stein J F, and Aziz T Z (2008) The anatomy and localization of the pedunculopontine nucleus determined using probabilistic diffusion tractography [corrected]. Br J Neurosurg, 22 Suppl 1:S25-32.
- Pereira E A, Muthusamy K A, De Pennington N, Joint C A, and Aziz T Z (2008) Deep brain stimulation of the pedunculopontine nucleus in Parkinson's disease. Preliminary experience at Oxford. Br J Neurosurg, 22 Suppl 1:S41-4.
- Cruccu G, Aziz T Z, Garcia-Larrea L, Hansson P, Jensen T S, Lefaucheur J-P, Simpson B A, and Taylor R S (2007) EFNS guidelines on neurostimulation therapy for neuropathic pain. Eur J Neurol, 14(9):952-70.
- Kringelbach Morten L, Jenkinson Ned, Green Alexander L, Owen Sarah LF, Hansen Peter C, Cornelissen Piers L, Holliday Ian E, Stein John, and Aziz Tipu Z (2007) Deep brain stimulation for chronic pain investigated with magnetoencephalography. Neuroreport, 18(3):223-8.
- Owen S LF, Green A L, Davies P, Stein J F, Aziz T Z, Behrens T, Voets N L, and Johansen-Berg H (2007) Connectivity of an effective hypothalamic surgical target for cluster headache. J Clin Neurosci, 14(10):955-60.
- Jenkinson Ned, Nandi Dipankar, Aziz Tipu Z, and Stein John F (2005) Pedunculopontine nucleus: a new target for deep brain stimulation for akinesia. Neuroreport, 16(17):1875-6.
- Aziz T.Z, Peggs D, Sambrook M.A, and Crossman A.R (1991) Lesion of the subthalamic nucleus for the alleviation of 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP)-induced parkinsonism in the primate Movement Disorders, 6(4):288-292.