The essential elements of the Year 4 course
Before or at the start of your surgical block……….
- you should have already contacted your surgical tutor
- you should watch the training films on Weblearn for gowning, gloving, scrubbing, infection control and theatre etiquette
- you should take a look at the examination technique clips
- you should check your allocated shifts on the Surgical Emergency Unit
During your surgical block..........
you should attend the following teaching:
- Introductory session on Day One
- One half day session on Evidence Based Surgical Practice
- One half day session on oncology
- One or more Oncology MDT sessions
- Attend surgical Grand Rounds at 8:00am on Fridays
At the end of your surgical block..........
you should complete and hand in the following paperwork by the Friday following the end of your attachment (you cannot be included on the pass list unless these are handed in):
- Course Report Form (signed by your tutor and supervising consultants from both specialties)
- Case Study - guidelines can be found by following the link and your work uploaded to Weblearn via the assignments tool
During your 4th Year Surgery/Medicine/DGH/SSM block..........
you should attend the following:
- Topics in Surgery & Medicine Lecture course including radiology teaching (Friday afternoons at 12.30pm when in Oxford)
- Cross Curricular Sessions which will include surgical practical skills - details will be sent out from the Medical School
At the end of the 4th year course..........
you must attend the following:
- Objective Structured Clinical Examination (summative)
- Single Best Answer Question Paper (formative)
During your 3 year clinical course……….
Please contact the Surgical Tutor's Office if you need any assistance, support or further information on the surgical course
There are student representatives on the Surgical Teaching Committee - they are there to represent your views so please contact them with feedback and questions