My primary role is to assist the Business Manager and Deputy Business Manager with the smooth and efficient running of the department's finances. I am responsible for the line management of the two members of the purchase-to-payment team and I am also responsible for the accounts receivable function.
As the Finance Manager I am responsible for:
- All financial aspects of departmental accounting including purchasing, payments, accounts receivable and expense claims;
- Providing expert advice and guidance to members of the department with regard to financial matters;
- Financial training of staff and inductions for financial matters;
- The provision of management reporting information to the management team and Principal Investigators;
- The departmental fixed asset register;
- Reporting on imports from the European Community via the monthly Intrastat return;
- The application of VAT to ensure that the correct treatment is applied to the departmental accounts;
- Petty Cash and Banking;
- Deputise for the Deputy Business manager as required.
Prior to working for Surgical Sciences I worked for Central Finance and have been using the Oracle computer system since its implementation to the University (2004). I have recently been involved in the testing and trialling of the new R12 implementation of the Oracle system and am an Oracle Champion for the University Finance section.