SELECTED RECENT AWARDS
- Zenith Global Health Special Recognition Award – 2022
- The Urology Foundation Research & Innovation Award - 2021
- Royal Society of Medicine Prizes – 2020, 2015, 2004
- National Clinical Excellence Award (Bronze) – 2019
- London’s Most Influential List of Doctors- 2019, 2018
- Vice-Chancellor’s Alumni Achievement Award – 2018
- Over 30 other awards and prizes from internationally renowned organisations such as the American Urological Association, European Association of Urology, British Association of Urological Surgeons, American Society of Clinical Oncology, World Congress of Endourology, Prostate Cancer Foundation, and many more.
BMedSci(Hons) BMBS(Hons) MRCS PhD PGCertMedLaw ADCertClinInv(Cornell) FRCS(Urol) FEBU USMLE MA(Oxon)
Visiting Professor of Urology
- Visiting Professor of Urology, University of Oxford, UK
- Full Professor of Urology, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, USA
- Visiting Professor of Urology & Robotic Surgery, All-India Institute of Medical Sciences Jodhpur, India
- Lead for Urology and Consultant Urological & Robotic Surgeon, Cleveland Clinic London, UK
- Consultant Urological & Robotic Surgeon, University College London Hospitals, UK
I graduated my Bachelors in Human Anatomy & Cell Biology in the First Class before obtaining my medical degree With Honours from the University of Nottingham, UK, in 1999. After completing basic surgical training, I undertook a PhD in Prostate Cancer and then undertook higher surgical training in Urology in London. I have completed robotic prostatectomy and cystectomy fellowships at Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, New York, USA and Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden. I also spent two months at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA and the Urology & Nephrology Center, Mansoura, Egypt refining my surgical techniques. I returned to the UK in April 2012 and completed my higher surgical training in April 2013.
I worked as a clinical academic surgeon at the University of Oxford from 2013-2016 before moving to University College London Hospitals in 2017. I was appointed Lead for Urology at the UK site of the Cleveland Clinic in 2019, and helped set up their Urology unit in London which opened in 2021. I also helped set up the robotic services at Northampton University Hospitals in 2022 and performed their first cases. I remain one of the UK’s highest volume prostate cancer surgeons and have performed over 1000 robotic surgeries to date.
I was appointed as Full Professor of Urology at Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine in 2022, and am the only UK urologist to hold this title. I have also been conferred Visiting Professor titles from leading institutions in India and the UK. I am heavily involved in clinical research, with interests in four themes: (1) surgery of early, advanced prostate cancer; (2) novel imaging of high-risk and advanced prostate cancer; (3) surgical innovations in robotic surgery such as Retzius-sparing and graded nerve-sparing; and (4) salvage robotic surgery for treatment failure. My peer-reviewed publications have over 6000 citations and my h-index is 38 to date.
I have over 200 peer-reviewed publications focusing on prostate cancer and urology. My research is patient-focused and complements my clinical practice. I have published in the Lancet, British Medical Journal, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Journal of Urology, European Urology, British Journal of Urology International, and many more. I have also written over a dozen books and book chapters, focusing on the clinical management of prostate cancer and robotic surgical techniques.
A selection of my publications can be found on PubMed.
Please contact me via email if you have any questions on my research.