The RESPOND Programme
For RESPOND Doctors
Doctors, including juniors and trainees, in each of the Trusts that are involved in RESPOND are imperative to the success of the trial.
For an overview of all strands, please see the “Problem and Approach” tab.
Doctors are asked to be involved in a few ways in chronological order:
1. Collect Data for the Quality Audit.
The Quality Audit will allow you as junior doctors to start collecting RESPOND data while pending R&D approval for the allocation of research nurses. More about the Quality Audit can be found on the “For RESPOND Leaders” page. If you are collecting data for the Audit, you will be eligible to join the Collaborative for guaranteed authorship on the trial papers. See “Data Collection” tab for more information.
2. Support the Research Nurses in Collecting Data for the Trial.
The data collected for the Audit and the trial will be the same, but Research Nurses will not be allowed to start data collection until the full trial has been approved. Therefore, you will have expertise that they do not have once they start, as you will have been involved in the Audit data collection. Therefore, you will be asked to help the new research nurses collect these data until they become more comfortable with it.
3. Engage With and Promote Use of the Interventions.
We will be implementing four interventions during each Trust’s three-month intervention period. It is imperative that you at least trial the interventions and provide constructive feedback to the team. For doctors specifically, this will involve:
- Using the RICHER communication tool to effectively request services from service departments when a patient is deteriorating.
- Using the Surgical Escalation Procedure (SEP) card, particularly in stage 3
- Engaging in the Team Strengthening exercises, including attending Away Days and submitting comments of appreciation for colleagues to the e-boards
- Completing the Safety Attitudes Questionnaire at the beginning and end of the trial in your Trust- Our RESPOND researchers will be sure to provide reminders!