Idea, Development, Exploration, Assessment, Long-term follow-up. The IDEAL Collaboration is an international initiative to improve the quality of research in surgery.
The IDEAL Collaboration is an international initiative to improve the quality of research in surgery. It is:
- A model that describes the stages of innovation in surgery: Innovation, Development, Exploration, Assessment, Long-term study
- A set of Recommendations at each stage of the model that have been developed by experts in evidence-based surgery, for example on improving methodology and how to address the challenges of randomized controlled trials in surgery.
- An international group of surgeons, researchers, journal editors, methodologists, statisticians, and other people who are committed to producing, disseminating, and evaluating quality research in surgery.
Our website includes details about the framework and recommendations, a blog on current topics in evidence-based surgery, a library of resources, and a discussion forum for members. But we need your help to spread the word. Join up now!
Peter McCulloch describes the IDEAL framework for evaluations of surgical innovations from Right Care on Vimeo. Download the slides from the website. The two papers below, written by Daphne Austin, discuss how commissioners can use the IDEAL framework.
- Part 1: Using IDEAL when dealing with proposed service developments
- Part 2: Using IDEAL when dealing with individual funding requests (IFRs)
Download the video.