The ENDO-CARE Trial
Patients who have had womb cancer thought this research was a good idea and have helped design it.
Short Participant Information Sheet
Could supported weight loss reduce womb cancer surgery complications?
What is the purpose of this research?
- We are trying to find ways to reduce complications from surgery for womb cancer and help people recover faster.
- For people carrying excess weight, losing even a few pounds could reduce complications after surgery, because it improves physical fitness and blood sugar levels.
- This research will find out how practical it is to lose weight after a womb cancer diagnosis and while waiting for surgery.
- This will help us to plan future research to see whether losing weight is of benefit to a larger number of patients.
Why have I been invited?
- Because you may need surgery for cancer in your womb.
- Participation is voluntary. The decision to take part in this research will not affect the care you receive.
What will I have to do?
You will need to agree to be put at random into 1 of the 2 groups:
|A. Standard care group||B. Supported weight loss group|
|You will carry on with your care as usual - nothing about your care will change.||You will eat only nutritious soups and shakes until your surgery. A specialist will support you over the phone.|
Regardless of the group you are in, you will also need to
✅ attend the hospital twice for 1-2 hours: once before you start the research and once about 30 days after your surgery. You will have some simple measurements taken, such as your weight, and fill in brief a questionnaire.
✅ fill in brief a questionnaire once at home.
✅ tell us about how you found the diet in an audio-recorded phone interview (group B only).
What if I am in the supported weight loss group?
- Most people quickly adjust to the diet after the first few days and follow it well. Your specialist will support you every step of the way.
- We chose to use this diet because people who follow it usually lose more weight than if they follow diets based on eating less of regular food.
- You will be asked to eat only tasty and nutritious soups and shakes until your surgery.
✅ These products contain all the essential vitamins and minerals, and plenty of protein and fibre but are low in calories.
✅ They are free of gluten, nuts, sesame, and shellfish, suitable for Halal, Hindu, or Kosher diets, and
used by the NHS in other medical conditions.
- You can choose from a variety of flavours.
- We will provide you with these products for free.
- You will have weekly consultations with a specialist (a dietitian) who will support you over the phone or through video calls.
Other points to consider
- By taking part, you will help us find out if this treatment might help people with womb cancer in the future.
- Group B: Most people do not experience side effects from the diet, but you may experience some, such as constipation. Most side effects are only mild and go away when you stop the diet.
- We will offer you vouchers up to £30 for your travel expenses for each of the two journeys to the hospital.
What if I want to stop taking part?
- You are free to leave the research at any point.
- All your data will be kept strictly confidential.
Our contact details
Please contact your local research team.
Telephone: 01865 617767 Email: email@example.com