List of Specialties
We aim to provide exposure to as many surgical specialties as possible during the clinical course.
General surgical teaching is delivered in years 4 and 6 of the clinical course as shown below.
- Students will attend the Patient Doctor II course during September. During this time, some will be allocated to surgical specialties
- Six weeks between January and June which is split into a three week and two week attachment covering two specialties and one week on SEU
- Six weeks to be spent at one of the District General Hospitals, split between Medicine and Surgery
- The five-week surgical block allows students three weeks on one specialty followed by two weeks on a different firm
- As in year 4, six weeks at a DGH split between Medicine and Surgery
These attachments are carefully planned to ensure that students are exposed to as many specialties during the three year course as possible. Before joining Year 6, you will be asked to specify your firm preferences.
The Teaching Lead for each of the specialties is shown below along with Consultant colleagues :-
Asha Adwani, Gael Maclean, Toral Gathani, Dennis Remoundos, PG Roy
COLORECTAL (LOWER GI)
Stephen Boyce, Oliver Jones, Chris Cunningham, Bruce George, Ian Lindsey, Mark Bignell
Radu Mihai, Greg Sadler, Isabel Quiroga
Srikanth Reddy, Zahir Soonawalla, Peter Friend, Michael Silva,
Bruno Sgromo, Richard Gillies, Bob Marshall, Nick Maynard
Peter Kalu, Greg Thomas, Tim Goodacre, David Coleman, Steven Wall, Henk Giele, Oliver Cassell, Andy Pay, Paul Critchley, David Johnson, Jeremy Birch, Lucy Cogswell, Titus Adams, Alex Ramsden, Matthew Potter, Sinclair Gore, Niki Petrie, Sarah Tucker, Marc Swan, Michael Lamyman, Sara Atkins, Sally Jay
James Gilbert, Peter Friend, Sanjay Sinha, Isabel Quiroga, Rutger Ploeg, Srikanth Reddy, Georgios Vrakas, Simon Knight
Simon Brewster, David Cranston, Jeremy Crew, Freddie Hamdy, Jeremy Noble, John Reynard, Mark Sullivan, Heidi Tempest, Ben Turney, Guy Webster, Richard Bryant, Tom Leslie, Richard Bell, Alastair Lamb, Robert Ritchie, Naomi Neal
Dominic PJ Howard, Chris Darby, Ashok Handa, Tim Magee, Patrick Lintott, Jeremy Perkins, Ed Sideso, Andrew Northeast, Emma Wilton
Kim Gorissen, Jeff Gilmour, Giles Bond-Smith, Chris Lewis
Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, patient safety